Thursday, May 15

Nati

Poor nat. 
Starting on Saturday morning Natalie started to complain that her stomach was hurting. All through Saturday night and Sunday night she was throwing up, and still complaining about her stomach hurting. My kids have only ever gotten a quick 24 hour something and so when things were not looking out I started to get worried. 
All day Tuesday she had her arms covering her stomach and could barely stand up straight or move. I was really worried that it might be her appendix. She was fine through the night and Wednesday morning she told me she was ready to go back to school. After school on Wednesday she immediately started to complain her stomach hurt. I had already decided that if the pain came back and was just as bad but I would take her to the hospital. I took her in around seven and there we sat and waited for tests to be done and x-rays to be taken. They were pretty sure that it was not the appendix... They were also pretty sure that it was a sure case of constipation.
After the x-ray came back and they confirmed that she was completely full to the max with poop and was totally constipated. She got a new silly band bracelet and two stickers after her x-ray. This made up for all of the stuff we had to do in the hospital.
They discharged us just after midnight and we were able to come home. She stayed home from school Thursday and Friday to rest and make sure that everything past properly. Sure enough she was feeling back to herself after having a couple of bowel movements. 
I was pretty embarrassed that I took her to the hospital for constipation, but the doctor reassured me that you don't want to mess around with children and stomach pain. I am glad I took her in, it's better to be safe than sorry. 

This is Saturday at the very beginning of her pain. We brought boots to Legoland for a party and Natalie could barely smile.
At home she sat around and laid around watching the iPad all day.
This was right after her x-ray in the hospital.

I love that sweet girl, and I hate to see her or any of my children in pain.

I was reflecting on the many times that I was in the hospital as a young person.  When I was 12 years old, my appendix burst and my mom had to rush me to the hospital for emergency surgery. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I remember looking at my mom in the waiting room between throwing up and feeling horrible... And I asked her if I was going to die. I honestly thought that I would die because of the pain I was experiencing. 
I remember the look on her face of worry and concern and love as the tears fell down her face and she held my hand beside me. She didn't really have an answer for me and I knew that she was scared too. I remember them rushing me through to the OR and my mom and dad sitting beside my bed. They said a prayer with me before I went in and I remember them blessing me that everything would be okay. I also them remember them praying to be okay with whatever God's will was. 

After two more ER visits in the following four years, and a few surgeries later, I learned even more the love that my mom and family had for me in times of trial and pain. 

Even though Natalie was only experiencing constipation, the pain that she was going through was almost unbearable for me to watch. I wanted to take it all away so that she would not have to experience such things. I have also been thoughtful about the sacrifices that our Savior Jesus Christ made in the garden of Gethsemane. All of the pains and sorrows that he felt. She knows the pains that we feel and he knows the sorrows we passed through. He wants to take it all away and help us to be better. It has taken me a long time to understand the reasons why we must go through pain and sorrow in this life. I wish I could take it away for my daughter so she doesn't have to feel and experience either. I feel so blessed that she is healthy and has a body that works! 

I'm also grateful that she decided to finally poop it all out!!

2 comments:

Anna@Exasperation said...

We took Cam to the hospital one evening totally convinced that he had to get his appendix out...only to find out he was full of poop! I feel your pain! Glad she's feeling better.

Alysha Sladek said...

Nicely said. I'm glad she's feeling better.